Sunday, January 31, 2010

Music

I listen to the radio a great deal these days; I'm spending so much time in a car and I actually prefer the radio over CDs.



There seems to be a lot of classic rock, which happens to be my FAVORITE genre of music.  I think I was born about twenty-five years too late; as my heart is right at home with all things seventies.  A few songs I  hear almost once a day:



Midnight Rider: UGH this song is so good it makes me scream. (it could be that the Allman Brothers Band is SO FREAKING HOT)  I'm surprised Jay-Z hasn't has remixed the guitar hook in anything yet.  It's begging for it.











Hot Child in the City.  I had no idea a man sung this.











The first two weeks of school, the radio we listen to all day was tuned to a soft rock station.  I love soft rock, and had no problem humming along with Kelly Clarkson and Celine Dion and Mike McDonald.  No. Problem.



Then the weather changed and Magic 93 wouldn't come in clearly so now its Cat Country 96FM all day, every day.  And guess what?  I actually enjoy country music.  There was a brief period in my early twenties when I listened to contemporary (radio) country on the regular while recovering from a particularly nasty break-up.  One of my favorite songs at that time:











I still love it.



The thing that annoys me about so many country songs though is how many of them are solely about  "being country".  It's not unlike the old trend in hip-hop of devoting entire songs to how much shit they buy and how many bitches they have, etc.  The country songs about being country all seem to squeeze in at least one dig at "big cities" like New York and LA, and are almost pathetic in their thinly veiled attempt to convince you that they are more genuine than city folk  and are proud to be called white trash.  It's exhausting. Example:











Some of its good though, and my favorite song du jour is "I Need you Now".  Possibly the dumbest video ever made unfortunately:







1 comment: