Occasionally I get repair jobs from folks who have damaged mounts, broken antlers or busted skulls. This case isn't much different ezcept for the size factor involved. I think these moose antlers make up the largest rack I've ever dealt with.
The owner had mounted them to a stone wall outside her house but not in any particular fashion that would anchor them in properly, and over time the sheer weight of these bad boys just pulled them out and they fell off. I'm not sure if the fall caused any of the cracking or of all the blemishes/cracks are just general wear and tear.
Regardless, there were several points at which the cracks compromised the integrity of the the antler itself, plus a handful of cosmetic issues. I set about using an epoxy compound to fill in the more significant negative space:
Next I used a type of paint specifically designed for antler restoration to blend all the filling with the rest of the antler, as well as mixing up the right shades to correct some of the markings that took away from the natural beauty of the actual antler:
Terrible picture for size reference:
Finished product. I also drilled more stable holes at the base and left her with instructions on how exactly to have it mounted this time around.





No comments:
Post a Comment