Tuesday, April 22, 2014
Thumper
Meet Thumper. He was the beloved hamster of my friend A, and when he passed she envisioned him curled up in eternal dream state with a pair of blue butterfly wings. I was truly honored that she would entrust me with the task of preserving her pet, and thankfully when I presented the finished product to her today, she was pleased.
Anyone who knows me knows that small mammals are not my area of expertise; far from it. I find it extremely challenging to manipulate the teeny skin without manhandling it too much. They're so delicate!
Speaking of delicate, the butterfly wings caused me to hyperventilate a few times as I tried to sink them into the grooves I cut into the mount for them. It blows my mind that those stunning creatures can flutter about the world so freely when one careless touch can destroy them.
It goes without saying that Thumper will live under the protection of a glass dome. Sweet dreams, little one!
Labels:
butterfly,
commission,
hamster,
pet preservation,
taxidermy,
Thumper
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











No comments:
Post a Comment