Here is the leg, thawed out.

The odor of barn filled my studio immediately and I rather enjoyed it. Unfortunately I may have bit off more than I could chew...

It took me about thirty minutes to realise that I really had no plan and wasn't entirely sure of what I was doing at all. I managed to skin the leg down to the hoof, but then had to cut the hide away as it would not invert around said hoof. That's fine; it shouldn't be much of an issue to reattach, but once I managed to sever the hoof from the rest of the leg, I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. A crash course in horse anatomy is basically what this project has turned into.
Here's the hoof, with spongy tissue and miscellaneous cartilage/bones still inside:

I've managed to cut out all the flesh I can with a knife, but it's not enough space to work a partial shoe into. I got frustrated and had to leave it for a couple days; tomorrow I will tackle it with a drill. That will smell totally awesome, I'm sure of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment