Thia is actually my second pet preservation dog-hide-turned-rug commission, but my first employing the services of an industrial tannery. My workload has reached the point that I can no longer tan everything in-house, and hand staking a hide to reach the level of suppleness you see in these photos is beyond cost-ineffective and insanely time consuming.
So I ceded a portion of the workload (a significant step for anyone who knows me and my history of control issues) to a professional tanner and I couldn't be happier with the results. I also got some rabbit hides done that I'll post about later. For now though, just look at this magnificent beauty:
That's a size 12 Men's cowboy boot to scale:
He drapes like a dream!
I think
this is a fantastic alternative to getting a full life size mount in
terms of pet preservation, and am happy to offer it on the regular
starting now. I know my client is happy; she looked perfectly natural
with him draped around her as we spoke outside on this freezing, bitter
night. Her darling Windsor keeping her warm even in his afterlife.
Bye!





I had wanted to get this done with one of our Anatolian/Pyrenees livestock guardian dogs - they were like huge white wolves with floppy ears and wonderful personalities. Sadly, for tragic reasons, it didn't happen. Glad you posted this. The tanned hide is probably a much better memento than a full mount that might not really look like the deceased pet. Alan Alda wrote a book called something like "Never Stuff Your Dog" because his parents had the family dog mounted and it looked scary, lol
ReplyDelete