Monday, May 13, 2013

PONY SEASON & LADIES TEA

Right around this time of year I start to get the pony itch, and all I see is equine-themed... 

It's currently steeple chase season, and the Radnor Hunt is coming up this weekend.  Sadly but not so sadly I'll be traipsing about some fun European port towns and unable to go. The Radnor Hunt is an annual tradition I grew up with and can be credited to my innate fascination with ladies in stunning hats always being within a stone's throw of all things horse-related.

 


Fortunately I'll be back in time for Ladies Day at the Devon Horse Show.  Along with Ladies Day is the time honored traditional hat competition.  I've been participating since 2010 when I made a bit of a splash with my duck hat entry, which basically consisted of an entire duck mount on my head.  Clearly I went home with a ribbon. The net year I dressed myself and several friends in assorted bird taxidermy creations, and showed up just in time to see the judging and subsequent ribbons being distributed.  Guess we shouldn't have stopped for all that champagne and snacks en route...

 We still had a blast, and took in some grade A horse jumping, side saddling ad even a brief wrangling demonstration! 

 The Friesians trotting around the course steal my heart every time though.  Hopefully this year I'll get some decent photos.


 
Adding some sweetness to Ladies' Day is the second annual Ladies Tea.  I had the honor of being on the planning committee last year and was privy to the tremendous amount of work put in by Jenn McGowan and her tireless team all to promote this event which turned out to be a very successful fundraiser and all around great opportunity for ladies from an assortment of backgrounds to stop and smell the roses, so to speak.

That's Jen, looking completely at ease while juggling 8 or 9 plates at once.  You can't see her hands so there's no proving me wrong.
 Here's a few of my priceless polo friends who were kind enough to play Diamond Tooth hat models for the day, and below you'll find me striking an aggressive pose with another generous model friend.   I opted for the wow factor of an entire Guinea Hen mounted on my head.  I think a few eyebrows were raised.
 The theme was Gatsby in honor of the film that came out an entire year later than anticipated, and we all dressed the part.  Ribbons all around, of course!

After the judging all us ladies made our way to the beautifully decorated tent, inside of which bottomless champagne, finger sandwiches and sweets awaited.




I had a blast meeting and exchanging stories, compliments and general pleasantries with such a diverse group of women, and just looking at these photos has me all revved up for this year's event- on Wednesday May 29th.  Soon!
If you're in the area, I very much hope to see you there.  You can find more event info on their facebook page: Ladies Day Tea & Hat Contest 
and buy tickets here: Devon Horse Show

I've been working on my hat for a week or so now, obviously it will involve taxidermy but that's all I'm giving up!  This year, however, I will not be competing in the hat contest as I will instead be judging.  So, while I don't have to worry about winning any ribbons and prizes, I do have to look sharp.  

And I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment