Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Never enough Chuckers

Yesterday two of my best gals and I took a field trip out to the Brandywine Polo Club for a Chester County hospital fundraiser game. It was a lavish affair and I have to say, for a crew of newbies, we really did it well.  We parked our picnic blanket in front of what turned out to be the tents of seasoned club members who took us under their wings and enlightened us to the nuances of the game.  We also brought a few bottles of champers and grapefruit juice (greyhounds, baby) and plenty of snacks.



OK, enough beating around the bush. I won.  The set-up was such that the hat ladies had to just walk around and get noticed by the judges.  Trust me, wearing a dead duck on your head gets plenty of notice.  I left a wake of cocked heads all up and down that bitch.  I posed for pictures with the other winners.  I posed for pictures with old men.  I posed for pictures that I may not have even been in.  I love cameras that much.



At half time, before they announced winners, us gals got to march onto the filed and stomp the divots of upturned grass back into place.  I came really close to working my clog into a "steamer".  I'll let y'all figure that one out for yourselves.







A few minutes later the winners were announced and paraded out onto the field.  It's hard to tell but the little girl up there was wearing a hat with a bird's nest on it.  She was a very gracious adversary.







As we learned more about the game during the second half, we all grew a bit more invested in the outcome.  It didn't hurt that one of the players on the winning team is apparently the rock star of the club.  Women were practically fainting all over the place every time his horse charged by.  Guess which one:







I don't know, I think it's more about the gear and the horses than the man.  Not to discredit all the oodles of talent on that field though.  We three caught the fever, and I for one am eager to get back and have another taste.   Where else can I wear taxidermy on my person?

No comments:

Post a Comment